Serves 8 – 10
20 chicken pieces, drumsticks, and thighs
10 garlic cloves, peeled and roughly chopped
10 sprigs fresh thyme, chopped
125ml verjuice/ or white wine vinegar
125ml good quality 100% olive oil ( not canola mix)
250ml dry white wine or rose ( I used Rose as it goes well with the figs )
60 ml soft brown sugar
1 packet green olives, drained
125ml caper berries with stems, and a little juice
6 bay leaves
Grinding of black pepper and a good pinch of sea salt
1 cup good quality chicken stock
10 fresh figs, wiped & halved
Fresh thyme or flat leaf parsley to serve
- Combine all the ingredients, except the stock, figs and garnish in a non metallic casserole dish.
- Cover and marinade for minimum 4 hours, or refrigerate and marinade overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 180OC, remove chicken from the fridge and allow to come to room temperature.
- Add the chicken stock to the casserole dish, and cook for 45-60 minutes, stir and add more water if needed, check the chicken by piercing the meat with a sharp knife, if the juices run clear the meat is cooked.
- The chicken should be golden brown, with a lovely sauce from the marinade.
- Add the figs and stir into with the sauce. Check seasoning.
- Serve garnished with thyme sprigs and flat leaf parsley
Recipe courtesy of Taryne Jakobi