For the pastry
560ml cake flour
180ml icing sugar + extra
180g chilled butter, cubed
2 egg yolks
60ml chilled tonic water
zest of 1 lemon
For the filling
6 egg yolks
385g tin condensed milk
180ml lemon juice
For the Italian meringue
310ml castor sugar
125ml tonic water
2 egg whites
- For the pastry, sift together the flour, icing sugar and salt. Rub in the butter until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the yolks, tonic water and zest and cut in with a knife until it just comes together. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and shape into a flat disc, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Roll the pastry out on a lightly floured surface to 4mm thickness. Line 8 x 10cm springform tart tins with pastry and prick the bases with a fork. Chill in the freezer for about 20 minutes or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line each tart with a piece of scrunched baking paper and fill each with baking
weights like grains. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove the paper and grains and bake for 5-10 minutes or until
- For the filling, reduce heat to 160°C. Beat together the egg yolks and condensed milk. Slowly add the lemon juice and gin, while beating, until smooth. Pour the filling into the tart shells. Bake for about 15 minutes or until just set. Cool.
- For the meringue, heat the sugar, water and gin on medium, stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Bring to
a boil and cook for 10 minutes. Cool. Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. With the beaters running, carefully pour the hot sugar syrup in a thin steady stream into the egg whites, whisking until thick and glossy.
- Spoon blobs of the meringue onto the tarts and use a blowtorch to scorch the meringue, if you like.
Recipe and image courtesy of www.yourfamily.co.za